Thursday, June 9, 2011

My next 28 years

Today is my 28th birthday. I am definitely in the twilight of my 20's and even though I have loved every minute of this decade, I am looking forward to the future. On my way to work this morning (UGH - WORK ON YOUR BIRTHDAY SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!), I started thinking about all the things that have happened over the last decade of my life. I was pretty amazed at all the changes that had taken place. In the past 10 years, I:

- Graduated high school
- Went to the beach for the first time with my friends and no parents (aka Senior Week)
- Began college at the College of Charleston
- Watched my parents divorce and begin dating new people
- Met my future step-dad & step-mom
- Saw my childhood home sold (that song, The House That Built Me makes me cry)
- Dropped out of the College of Charleston
- Moved back to Greenville
- Enrolled in North Greenville and started a new college (and changed my major)
- Saw my parents get remarried
- Moved back in with my mom
- Turned 21
- Got my first "real" job
- Graduated from college
- Bought my first car
- Got a new job
- Moved in with my boyfriend (yes, we lived in sin)
- Got another new job
- Got engaged to that boyfriend
- Got married
- Got pregnant (and will have a baby while I am 28!)


Of course there are tons of little things that aren't listed that have made this past decade wonderful and heart breaking and life changing. I have lost family members, but gained some too. I have met people who have changed my life, opened doors for me professionally, and been there with me to sip a glass of wine and laugh with me. I have let go of old friendships and welcomed new ones. I guess you can say in that this has been the decade of growing up.

Ten years ago, on my 18th birthday, I was at Myrtle Beach celebrating my graduation from high school and being a "grown up" finally. Little did I know that it would take much more than turning a certain number to be considered "grown." It takes time, failure, success, and a few stray gray hairs that have to be covered up every six weeks - I'm going tomorrow as a matter of fact.

I am not the same person I was 10 years ago and thank God for that. I hope that I am a different person 10 years from now, when I celebrate my 38th birthday. I hope that I continue to become a grown up, continue to grow as a person, and continue to be so blessed with such a great life.

Happy birthday to me! :)

1 comment:

  1. I can promise you for sure that you will not be the same person in 10 years. You will be amazed at how your life changes after a baby. That little one will take your time and energy, but fill you with the most wonderful joy you could ever imagine!

    ReplyDelete