Thursday, June 3, 2010

Paleo Meatloaf...Results

First off, I need to preface this by saying that I've never been a huge fan of meatloaf. It wasn't a dinnertime staple at our house and the only meatloaf I've ever really liked was my step-mother's and I've only had it maybe twice.

So here goes:

Paleo Meatloaf recipe from Everyday Paleo:

1 diced red onion
2 lbs grass fed ground beef (we used regular ground beef 93/7 ratio)
1 cup almond meal
2 eggs
1 can tomato paste (sugar free/organic)
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1/2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp marjoram
cracked black pepper to taste (we used regular ground pepper)

Mix all ingredients by hand in a large mixing bowl. Place meat mixture into a large glass baking pan and form into a loaf. Bake at 350 degress for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink in the middle.


Paleo Ketchup from our Crossfit nutritional website, Feed the Beast:

1 small can of plain, sugar free tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
2 tsp vinegar (we used apple cider vinegar)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool and transfer to container and then into fridge.


Chad and I did not put the ketchup directly on the meatloaf, but rather used it as a dipping sauce after the meatloaf was cooked.

The result? It wasn't half bad. The almond flour (yeah, I had never heard of it either) provided a new texture/taste - kind of nutty - but the loaf itself held together just like normal meatloaf and had the same consistency. I think that we may use a little less than a whole cup of almond flour next time - it was a bit on the dry side...which is where Paleo ketchup came in! NO it's not Heinz. Let me just put that out there. Regular ketchup is full of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc...mainly precious, lovely things that we can't eat on our Paleo diet. But Paleo ketchup is okay...I may use a tiny bit less vinegar next time, or research a lighter, sweeter vinegar - apple cider vinegar has a bite to it. (PS, I tried drinking the stuff mixed with water a while back because I heard that it would aid in weightloss - oh my dear Lord, don't do it!). We didn't add vegetables with the meal - I was going to do asparagus, but we just didn't - but the meatloaf filled us up...I only had one medium slice and I was done.

Chad also fixed a great, simple dessert - mashed bananas mixed with vanilla extract, frozen. It was GREAT! He's such a trooper...I know deep down he wants a bacon cheeseburger and half and half from Pete's.

Tonight's menu:
Steak stirfry...should be pretty simple, but we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment