Thursday, June 24, 2010

Don't Let The Overhead Squats Get You Down

Last night was my worst night at Crossfit. It was hot. It was humid. I was in a seriously bad mood. It's been quite a week for the Butler's. We have run into some financial issues, Chad is overloaded with school stuff, and my company has won a contract that could potentially ruin my vacation plans for the summer. Needless to say, there have been some tears shed this week!

So last night, we get to Crossfit early. And I see running going on. I hate running. And did I mention that you could literally drown in the heat and humidity? I tried to push it out of my mind and focus on good things...not that there seemed to be many good things, but I was trying. I decided that I wanted to try and do a pull up with the bands, something that has been one of my goals since I started Crossfit. When we do pull ups now, I have to do it with rings - leaning all the way back and pulling myself up. I feel like the special ed Crossfitter doing that. I want to do what everyone else is doing. So Chad sets up the bands and I put my foot in and try to kip myself up to the bar and yeah...wasn't happening. I tried again and it didn't happen again. Disappointment.

So we start warming up, a group warm up which involved using the bands to do an overhead squat...it was weird, but if my trainer says it's helpful, I go with it. Note to self: do not let bands go because they will hit you, make loud noises and welps, and pretty much embarrass you to death. It happened, yes. Awesome.

On to the workout...did I mention that overhead squats are hard? Because they are. I loaded up my bar with two tens and was ready to go. I squatted and promptly fell over. Took the tens off and used the bar...fell again. Nice. Did I mention that I was a special ed Crossfitter?

End of the story...I didn't finish the work out. I stopped at 3 rounds. And then I cried all the way home because I didn't finish. It was failure in it's purest form - all because I was in a negative frame of mind and was mad because I wasn't able to do everything EXACTLY like everyone else. Instead of doing what I could do, I gave up and exchanged that fantastic feeling finishing gives you for tears on the way home.

My husband said (as we were pulled over on an on-ramp because I was freaking him out by crying), "You should be proud of what you CAN do. There's no way you would've been able to do what you did today when we first started. It takes patience." My oh my...patience. The Bible talks about it. Guns 'N Roses sang about it. And I so don't have it.


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE You! I think it's AWESOME that you're doing Crossfit period. I ordered P90X and sent the d@*& thing back...too hard for me. Have I replaced it with anything? No. You SHOULD be super-duper proud of yourself for showing up and trying. Everyone has a down day and negative attitude occasionally, it's what you do next time that matters! YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete