Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Think I Can...

I have reached the pinnacle and it's all downhill from here...20 weeks!!! This pregnancy has truly gone by fast and I know these last 20 weeks will fly by. And then my baby will be here...and life changes forever. Wow.

So anyway, have you ever heard of a "push present?" Well, I hadn't really until I got pregnant myself and heard about all the great gifts husbands give their wives for birthing their babies. Things like jewelry. Diamond jewelry. I hope that my dear husband, who sometimes reads this blog, does not overlook this post!

As great as a push present is, there are also other milestones in pregnancy that deserve to be celebrated. Like the "I made it halfway and no varicose veins yet" milestone. Which happens to be my current milestone, by the way. So I bought myself a present. Not diamond jewelry, but close...a fabulous diaper bag.

Even before I got pregnant, I coveted Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags. I have no idea why. I think it's because the name is so quirky and fun and the bags are pretty and have lots of pockets. I don't have an exact reason. But I did know that I had more of a chance of scoring a PBB bag than a Kate Spade, even though PBB are pretty pricey. So when I got an email that Petunia was having a surprise sale with 40-60% off their bags, I did a happy dance and immediately sat by my computer this morning waiting for the clock to turn the magic hour. And I finally scored my bag this afternoon!


Isn't it cute? I think it's the perfect celebratory gift...a pat on the back for me and a functional diaper bag for when I look like the coolest Mom ever pushing Hudson around town. 
Amazingly, I got another gift today. My sweet mama decided to get Hudson a "blankie" made. My great-aunt made my blankie and I carried it with me through babyhood and even into teenage/adulthood. It is one of those objects that I will forever treasure. Unfortunately, my aunt Gert passed away years ago and no one in my family can sew. So one of my mom's friends said she would make Hudson his own blankie. Mom and I went to the fabric store today and after questioning the clerks who definitely laughed at us after we left, we settled on some very cute fabric for Hudson's blankie. I hope he loves his as much as I love mine.

This past week has been semi-emotional for me. I think a lot of things are coming into focus about becoming a parent that can be overshadowed by the "fun" things about pregnancy - you know, things like registering and decorating and shopping. But parenthood is so much more, such a huge responsibility. And that weight has settled on me tremendously this week. I am responsible for this child. His safety, well-being, happiness, discipline. I'm responsible for introducing him to Jesus and giving him the tools he needs to grow into a Godly man. Chad and I, as his earthly parents, are responsible for giving him a taste of what the Heavenly Father's love is all about. It's a scary task with so many uncertainties along the way. I'm encouraged by this verse:

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

I guess the Bible speaks directly to worrywart mamas-to-be in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment