Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pregnant Sinuses

For the past few days I have sounded like a man. What started as just a mild sore throat ended up with all kinds of congestion in my chest, which causes a hacking cough that makes me sound like I DIDN'T quit smoking a year ago (we really haven't smoked in that long - I don't even miss it).

So what do you do when you're pregnant and your husband is terrified of you taking any medication that may cause some crazy thing to happen to baby? You google "what meds can you take when you're pregnant" and find out that Benadryl is A-okay! And then you take it, hoping for a peaceful sleep and when that doesn't happen, you wake up in a REAL bad mood, feeling even worse and somewhat hungover from the Benadryl that didn't make you sleep good. Also you wake up to drool because pregnant people drool even more than normal, a stopped up nose, and the hacking cough. So very attractive.

I was kind of at my wit's end last night. I don't like being sick in the first place and we are planning on spending the LOOONG Memorial Day weekend at the lake house. Sinus issues do not fit into my plans. So last night I used the Netti Pot. You know, that thing that you put the saline solution in and run through your sinuses. Completely harmless despite that feeling of drowning if you don't hold your head a certain way. Guess what? The Netti Pot worked and I got a great night's sleep last night for the first time this week. I woke up in a good mood and even LAUGHED with Chad this morning. Unheard of! I am stopped up again, but know that relief is just a Netti Pot away. I am soooo looking forward to the lake.


1 comment: