Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Runaway

I came home from Crossfit last night feeling pretty good...I didn't have to go to the store to buy dinner 'cause it was already at home (not a usual occurrence with us), my work out was good, and I was having a fun conversation with my mom. Chad was at school and I was looking forward to an hour of me time, since my sweet husband had cleaned the house earlier! Side note: whoever said husbands were unhelpful obviously has not met mine. He's wonderfully helpful. And sweet. And perfect. Okay,  you can go throw up now.

I knew Jake and Lucy probably needed to go out, if Jake tap dancing by the door was any indication of their need to pee. I was still talking to my mom and decided to just take them out one at a time so I didn't have two leashes and an iPhone that seems to slip when my face is sweaty. I thought I had everything under control, but as I was about to lead Jake outside, my darling little Lucy decided to slip by me and escape.

Under normal circumstances, a runaway dog isn't a big deal - IF the dog responds to you calling them. Lucy decides to go all retarded when she gets loose and thinks it's a big 'ole game...which it very well could be if we didn't live fairly close to a road that people like to drive 4000 miles over the speed limit on.

I started freaking out, hung up on my mom, and ran out after her, leaving poor Jake inside, probably still tap dancing over his full bladder. Lucy is a Carolina Dog (google it) and she is VERY fast and can cover pretty long distances for her size because she moves like a fox. It had been awhile since her last big run, so she was booking it. Luckily, she wasn't booking it towards the road.

After about 15 minutes of screaming, catching her once and then (stupidly) thinking she would follow me back home (she didn't), my neighbor came out with her weenie dog, Sugar, whose incessant barking prompted Lucy to come back wondering WHAT was making that sound. I caught her and carried her a$$ back home. I dumped her inside and she hit the water bowl, tongue lolling. She seemed to be grinning quite smugly at me.

The runaway came home, but I think she wishes she was still running.

No comments:

Post a Comment