Thursday, May 27, 2010

Miles to Go

After my fun lunch with Chelle yesterday, I got an email from her, letting me know the EXACT day that sign ups for the half marathon on Kiawah Island would take place. For your information, it is August 1, and, according to Chelle, Chad and I will be joining the group this year.

Because we're Crossfitters now, and all.

A half marathon seems like a GREAT idea in theory...pushing yourself to the limit, crossing the finish line, getting a free t-shirt. All well and good. So I was feeling okay about the fact that I had many months to train and get myself into tip top shape before gracing the half marathon with my newly athletic self.

Cut to 6:45 pm last night...we arrive at Crossfit and look at the work out of the day (WOD):

Run 1 mile
Row 2000 m (about 1.25 miles)
Run 1 mile
For time

In case your math is struggling, that's 3 miles total. And my stomach dropped. Because the truth was about to come out: I hate running and I've never run one mile in my life. Not even in elementary school when you have all that bottled up energy plus the bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the morning. I just could not do it. And I would always come in last place.

I have made several attempts recently to become a runner. I love the idea of running. I love the benefits that running gives. But the actual act of running? Not so much.

I was negative throughout my warm up last night and kept saying "can't" - which is something that is pretty blasphemous at Crossfit. Chad got kind of ticked off at me - him being a former Marine and all - because "can't" was not part of his vocabulary. And I really have made progress since starting Crossfit.

Long story short, I did the first mile - running/walking. More walking, to be honest. I did the 2000 m row. And then I stopped because the trainer said I could. I did those two things in 28 minutes and I was so embarassed because I knew deep down that my body could keep going, but I let "can't" get in the way.

My sweet husband finished the two miles and the row in less than 30 minutes. I was so proud of him. He's such a trooper and such an athlete. I can't wait to see how much he progresses. He will excel because that's just how he is.

So there are 13 miles looming months away in December. But there is a Mile Road in my face right now. One goal at a time, one mile at a time. I'm done saying I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment