Monday, October 10, 2011

Who Knew?

I feel like pregnancy is full of so many moments that make you question your sanity, your decision making skills, and whether or not God was POSITIVE that you would make make a good parent when He allowed the egg and sperm to meet.

This week has been so full of those moments - aka, hormonal overload. Let me just preface this by saying that I am not THAT great at making decisions. But up until now, those decisions have just been what we're going to eat at night. Since I got pregnant, I've been making decisions that directly affect my baby's life and I really feel like I've taken it to a whole new (and unhealthy) level.

I am placing the blame solely on the baby books. It seems like you really need to follow them, even above the advice of others because THAT makes perfect sense. I started reading the baby books right after the pregnancy test turned pink, so I've had 8 whole months of OCD overload on various baby products. The first terrifying hurdle was the car seat selection. Infant or convertible? Graco or Britax? Paper or plastic? (We decided on the Britax Chaperone.) And then, of course, was the stroller freak out of 2011 (we decided on the Britax B-Agile after trying out everything from the uber expensive Uppa Baby to the City Mini Jogger ). I spent an ungodly amount of time scouring the Internet for reviews, price checks, new product roll outs...and I've done this on virtually ever major baby product I've put on my registry. I kid you not. Every item has been thoroughly researched to death and caused major panic attacks that I'm going to permanently scar my kid because I chose the wrong bottle (we chose Born Free) or pacifier (lots of choices here, from Born Free to MAM to Nuk - just so he has a variety). I'm still freaked out about the mattress choice we made because it wasn't $300. Will it be worthy to hold Hudson's head? This is seriously my thought process. Ridiculous.

So the latest baby product freak out? The swing or bouncer debate. More specifically - I have registered for the 2011 MamaRoo, a $240 purchase. We still need to buy the stroller, breast pump (Medela Free Style), baby carrier (Ergo), and travel crib (Baby Bjorn). None of these are cheap. And I've heard so many mixed reviews on the MamaRoo. What if Hudson hates it, despite it's readiness to connect to my iPhone so he can chill with some sweet baby lullabies by The Stones? Yes it's very cool looking, but will it be comfortable to him? And if I don't do a MamaRoo, what is my other option?

This has COMPLETELY taken over Week 31 of Kelley's Pregnancy. Hopefully Week 32 will present a decision. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I challenge you to read this post again in about 6 -8 months after Hudson arrives and again when he is about to turn two for an uncontrollable belly laugh! I totally know where you are coming from, but in the long haul, it's all about how much love he receives from you that matters. Yes, we have a Pottery Barn crib...Reese sleeps in our bed. Yes, we have Baby Bjorn carrier, I used it once...she hated it. Yes, we have one of the top of the line carseats...she hates to ride in the car. Gymboree clothes get stained, Wal-mart ones stay clean. LOL. There is not one right way to do parenting, there's your way of doing it, and what's best for your child and family! Just enjoy every part of your pregnancy and every phase of his life...there are plenty of more stressful decisions to make! =)

    ReplyDelete